Basel Mulhouse Freiburg Airport (BSL)
History, Facts and Overview
(Saint Louis Cedex, France)
Established in 1946, Basel Mulhouse Freiburg Airport has recently celebrated in 60th anniversary and has long been an important symbol for the need of international co-operation. Many important events have taken place in the airport's life over the years, including the addition of a toll-free road linking the airport and central Basel in 1952, large new hangars in 1966, and a major terminal building in 1970.
By 1980, the runway at Basel Mulhouse Freiburg Airport has been extended to 3,900 metres / 12,800 feet to cope with charter flights using Boeing 747s and similar jet planes. Soon after, passenger levels exceeded one million per year, and in 1987 the airport was officially branded at the Basel Mulhouse Freiburg EuroAirport (BSL). Subsequent years saw the airport being awarded the title of 'Best Regional Airport in Europe', and more recently, the opening of two new terminals, the North Passenger Terminal in 2002 and the South Passenger Terminal in 2005.
Facilities at Basel Mulhouse Freiburg EuroAirport include ATMs, a bank, bureau de change, baby changing rooms, a hairdresser and an information desk. There are several bars and snack bars in the terminal, such as the Café Select, Crousti Café and Euro Café, which serve drinks and light fare, and the fifth level houses a full service restaurant, 'Au 5ème'. While there is little shopping opportunity in the airport, duty-free items can be bought at the various Dufry outlets within the International Departures area.
Business facilities include conference rooms equipped with all the essentials, which can hold around 50 people. Seven major car hire firms have offices here and EuroAirport offers short- and long-term car parks on the French and also the Swiss sides of the terminal.